Sep 2, 2010

What the hell is 'chicken salt'

Ok... some of you may know I'm 'Down Under' at present.. I've been here three weeks now and I'm ready to come home.. I'm bored of hotels, living out of a suitcase and crap food... I can't wait to get home to my husband and dog!

So with two days to go I'm running out of ideas for dinner... driving home from work today I went past a fish & chip shop, thought that will do and pulled over for some Hoki and chips and pickled onions....

As I'm paying the little chinese man asked me if I'd like 'chicken salt'.... errrrm...what?

What is chicken salt?



According to the blurb on the back of the pot, Australians first started using chicken salt to season BBQ and roast chickens in the seventies. Some innovative soul sprinkled some on his chips and the rest, as they say, is history. To quote the good folk at Mitani, the producers of one type of  CS, ‘the use of Chicken Salt on chips has become so popular it is an Australian institution.’

Hmmmm... but I'm having fish & chips?.. no thanks I'll just have salt and vinegar please... leave chicken flavoured salt to the Aussies...

I need to get home.....


Photobucket

3 comments:

Annie (Lady M) x said...

Hey matey, glad to hear you are finally making it home! Chicken salt sounds weird as fuck, but then again, probably most of the world thinks us English are weird for using vinegar!

Deidre said...

I am an American living in Australia AND a vegetarian. Chicken salt gives me the heebie jeebies something fierce.

Clare said...

Deidre..... I know, just wrong!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...