Feb 28, 2011

Last few days of Christmas....Appledore

Do you ever feel like you have blogger overload..too many posts, too little time... I'm that girl at the moment..but I'm ploughing on with the last few days of our Christmas (!!) trip.. 2nd to last day and we've made it to Appledore, only one more day and we'll be back in Florida (figuratively.. I'm in Florida now.. my Mom is working in the garden  - working visit and I'm writing this blog... something wrong there!!)

Enjoy!

The name Appledore is usually considered to be Celtic in origin. There was a Saxon settlement, and a Viking raid in 878AD. The settlement prospered as a port in the Elizabethan period, and some cottages date from this period. The construction of a quay in 1845 further developed the port, and as a result Appledore has a rich maritime heritage. Today it is a super cute small town with lots of gorgeous coloured small cottages and a thriving arts and crafts community... cue funny story...

Clare and Jody walk into super cute craft shop
Lots of great items, most of which we'd love to take home. At back of shop are some strange porcelain foxes.. we look at each other, raising our eyebrows.. a little creepy!....At front of shop we start talking to the shop keeper and transpires that she was one of the co-operative of local designer-makers exhibiting and selling their own original work, taking it in turns to 'man' the shop. On display is an ever-changing collection of the best contemporary craft, including ceramics, wood, glass, metal, leather, textiles, baskets, furniture, studio pottery, painting, jewellery, photography and printmaking. GUESS which designer she was.!...you can see her work here.. we paid for our clock that we'd found made from reclaimed slate and made a sharp exit, suppressing the giggles! Ho hum... but I do recommend you visit if you are ever in Appledore...that and for the most amazing chocolate shop



.. look at these....

Too much choice!

Outside the crafts shop... balcony of musical instruments

Even the Baptist church is rocking some colourful paint!

Lunch was at the Beaver Inn - whilst husband and niece wimped out I went for the famous fresh fish, best Plaice I've ever eaten... yes those are the eyes!





This is what it looks like when the sun is out... obviously not my picture as it was freezing and overcast!




Photobucket

5 comments:

Annie (Lady M) x said...

Great pics! Sounds like a cool place to visit!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures of the boats. The shops look fantastically charming.

HOWEVER, I felt my ass expanding at the sight of each of those chocolates...I could almost smell them! Yummy! =)

alejandro guzman said...

Picturesque when the sun is out. I WANT CHOCOLATE!!!!

Cheers A

Clare and Gary said...

Yes beautiful when sun is out...
Chocolates expanded my ass Jewell! LOL

Unknown said...

Great pics, looks like a fun time!

And ooh I want those chocolates... making me hungry... mmm....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...