Jan 7, 2010

I'm torn...and then there are the suicidal iguanas...

Today I am torn between my arty shots of our trip in the bright sunshine to the local National park and the freezing temperatures that have hit central Florida...I think, as with most peoples posts, that the weather will win. 

As I write we in Florida are thawing out from the longest freeze that anyone can remember around here for years. Most of you (Anne) associate Florida with beautiful sunshine, beaches, swimming and palm trees...this week it has been winter coats, ice (no snow though), frost bitten lawns and dead plants....

The rest of the country is being hit by another hard winter storm and we are due to drop into freezing temperatures again by Saturday.. my scanty underwear is just not up to the job and I think I need to go to buy some long johns! I shouldn't complain ..as you can see the rest of the country is struggling  (these are the forecast lows for tomorrow)...and Anne... these are Farenheit...for those whose math isn't the best .. the -23f is -31C. I'm not sure how I would cope in temps like that...I'd definitely have to buy a coat..something I don't currently own!!!



Travel here is hanging in there...certainly surviving better than in England. I've just discovered on the internet that my parents flight out of Chigago this evening is delayed 8 hours because the plane was delayed leaving London ... England falls apart when a single flake of snow falls, and they've had days now. My friend Anne is snowed in in her village, and is surviving on pre-packaged curry.. If you see a slightly orange person on the outskirts of Oxford, sledging in her blue sled, it's her.. throw a snowball for me.!

Disturblingly the Kamikaze Iguanas are falling from the trees....they are supposed to urban legends but the freezings temps means they go into a forced hibernation and fall from the trees! It's quite amusing!


My husband has already returned to Jacksonville so I'm weathering this cold front on my own, well I do have Gary to curl up with me at night and as he does not snore and pinch the quilt things aren't too bad . I have to go back out now and cover the plants up again, but here are some pictures to prove it actually does get cold in Florida. Keep warm wherever you are and try not have to many nightmares about my cold extremeties!



An idiot (man) stroking his fountain...weird




poor cold little birdies

this happens when you leave the sprinklers on to try and protect the plants



5 comments:

Annie (Lady M) x said...

Are the iguanas ok after falling out the trees? I just need to check before laughing at the footage.

Clare and Gary said...

Yes..apparently they warm up and come at you like spider monkeys....

Crystal said...

hey there! came over to visit your blog after you posted a comment on mine. I must say, Gary is so adorable (and I love his name too!) and you are really pretty! A little jealous you live in beautiful Florida, but not jealous of the cold front you guys are dealing with (althoug it's just as cold and snowy over here in Paris).

And like Annie, I was worried about the iguanas...good to hear they don't suffer any permanent damage after falling!

I'll be back :)

Katie said...

Lol at those iguanas! I'm glad they come out of their mini hybernation none the worse for wear. You can have your cold temps--with the humidity down there, I can only imagine how miserable Florida must be right now!

Clare and Gary said...

Hi Crystal...I found your blog whilst visiting Brahms..I'm an expat here (British) so I get being abroad...Gary is super cute and knows it and as for me being pretty ...well we all have one pic of ourselves that we love ;-) but thank you, it made me smile!

Katie.. I can't complain..most of the time the sun is out and it's warm...just lost lots of my new plants, so that's a bit of a shame! I'm not too bothered about the humidity..I think you get used to it..you just slow your pace of life down in summer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...