May 19, 2011

The end is nigh.. finish the projects!!!

With the end of the world approaching Saturday...

"Judgment Day" is approaching. Fast. The world, as we know it, will end May 21, at least according to the now-ubiquitous prophecy posted on more than 5,000 billboards, posters, fliers and digital bus displays across the country.

I think it was probably time to finish that project we started 4 weeks ago.

I don't know how it is in your house but projects seem to drag on here... there is a burst of activity and energy at the start which gradually wanes...

Anyway our front porch has been a bit of a 'nothing' space since we bought the house 4 years ago.. except for a few nice plant pots it was just some poured concrete slab, and stained at that.

Hubby and I decided that a nice coat of paint would be in order to cover the stains.. that is how the project started. Poor Anne even got dragged to Home Depot whilst she was on vacation (and didn't we hear her moan about it..jeeesh!)

The project (still underway) manifested into homemade railing, painting, hanging flower baskets and jasmine growing up center on a fancy metal piece of art...

How far has project got...

Well its built (after a lot of swearing mainly bought on by cutting wood outside in 96F temps, and being surrounded by swarming love bugs (see below), the screw holes are filled however the structure is two tone at present... wood in the middle, lots of patched white holes waiting to be sanded so I can paint them, and each end is painted. Fancy metal art rests against wall collecting dust, and front porch looks like building yard. Bring back the stained concrete I say!
Hubby hard at it

Posts in
Half way along
Gary keeping watch

Anyway tomorrow I am determined to continue with the monster.. I mean if the world is ending I don't want to be sent downstairs for having a unfinished porch.. I hear they are picky like that!...

I shall be wielding the sander, so if you hear of some nasty accident in central Florida with a power tool, it was probably me...don't be surprised if I somehow manage to sand off my eyebrows!!..and then I shall at least finish the painting... The Love bugs are gone now so wont stick to the paint.. bring it on I say...

For those of you that don't know what a Love bug is....

"Love Bugs are small flies that are in the process of mating when they swarm over the roads. So usually there are two individuals: the large one is the female and the small one is the male. The female usually gets her way and she drags the male around with her."


They don't bite.. they are just gross.. appear in May and September normally and leave crap all over the front of the car...At least someone likes them...
Endless fascination with the Love bugs
Anyway... where were we before you distracted us with little black bugs....

Don't you normally play tennis on a Friday Clare? (I hear you mumble).. well I would except I managed to slice into my index finger on my right hand with a mandolin.. and I don't mean the musical instrument (as my Mother thought, bless).. I think that I should of had stitches as it was what is commonly known as a gusher.. but I soldiered on and now just have a big gash in my finger.. I heal quick, and luckily had copious amounts of butterfly stitches here.. I don't know whether I'll pass the fingerprint exam next time I arrive back at immigration though.... The best bit, Hubby didn't even notice the blood in the pulled pork... (joking!! ..I have to say that as Sarah came for tea that night!!)

 What project do you need to finish?... answers on a postcard please..(or you can just leave a comment)

I'll give you a railing update next week.. assuming we are actually all still here ...


Photobucket
If you have a blog, please leave me the link when you comment, so I can stalk you!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...